Saturday, January 7, 2012

Thankfulness

Tonight's post will hopefully be short but sweet.

Today was my first day as a ski instructor in an adaptive program for physically and intellectually disabled children.  I woke up amped to be spending the day on the snow, but very nervous about what I was actually getting myself into...

That all changed once I met my student.

Not only was I pumped to be skiing, but I was now pumped to see the grin - hear the laughter - experience the joy - and be the reason behind it!  Sure, I was this person's eyes to navigate the mountain and it's obstacles safely.  Yes, I was their physical strength to maintain their balance, control their speed and slow them to a stop.  And absolutely, it is hard work that is taxing mentally and physically....  but I am blessed enough to have these attributes that I take for granted on a daily basis - my student, however, is not.  It is the least I can do to spend 6 weeks lending my abilities to this person and allowing them the opportunity to feel the same excitement and happiness that I am fortunate enough experience whenever I want.  The least I can do.

Maybe this will inspire some of you to do something special or out of the ordinary for someone less fortunate than you.  It doesn't have to be an elaborate plan or commitment.  If you pay attention to the people around you in your everday life - at the store, in the gym, maybe at work - you will start notice the small opportunities to use your talents to help friends, family and strangers alike.

Peace & Love

2 comments:

  1. So exciting! Makes me realize we have to be more sensitive to our surroundings and to be thankful for each day.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Narda Guiou

    ReplyDelete